The 411 on ingestion of non-food items
When to Take Your Child to the ER for Ingestion of Nonfood Items
When a child eats or drinks something he or she is not supposed to, it can be very alarming, especially if you are unsure of the substance’s contents. The most important step to take is to first get the item away from your child. Do not try to make your child vomit, as this may cause more damage.
If your child shows minimal symptoms, call the Poison Center
If your child is experiencing minimal or no symptoms, call the poison center first at (800) 222-1222. The poison center will be able to tell you the next steps to take to care for your child.
If your child has more severe symptoms, emergency care may be necessary
Dial 911 for immediate medical care if your child’s ingestion is accompanied by any of the following:
- Your child does not look well
- Your child loses consciousness
- Your child experiences seizures or convulsions
Keep medications and household products out of reach of children
To avoid accidental ingestion of medications or household products, always make sure cabinets that contain cleaning solutions and medications are locked and out of your child’s reach. Also, ensure that all visitors keep their medications, including over-the-counter drugs, out of reach.
HealthONE has five pediatric emergency departments in the Denver metro area, so you are certain to find an ER that is close to home and able to diagnose and treat your child’s abdominal pain. Our hospitals strive to beat the national average wait time, so you can get quick access to high-quality emergency medical care.