Douglas County School District is seeking its next permanent superintendent. The DCSD Board of Education has selected Ray and Associates (no relation to DCSD Board Director, David Ray) to conduct the search for the next superintendent, following a thorough vetting of potential search firms.
In order to fund the cost of a national superintendent search, the board’s operational budget (used for legal expenses, conferences and lobbyist services) was reprioritized to ensure that there would be no impact on any other budget in the system.
"Thank you!" The Douglas County School District (DCSD) Board of Education extends sincere thanks and appreciation to the Douglas County community for participating in the search for a permanent superintendent.
More than 3,000 educators, administrators, support staff, parents, students, business leaders and non-parent community members who provided feedback by completing an online survey. Many others took time out of their busy schedules to attend community input meetings which were held across the school district last month.
The DCSD Board of Education reviewed all of the feedback received and used it to finalize the candidate profile. Based on the input provided, the following 10 criteria were identified and deemed most important for the permanent superintendent:
- Promotes a positive and professional environment that includes mutual trust and respect among district employees and the Board.
- Is strongly committed to a “student first” philosophy in all decisions.
- Possesses excellent people skills and can present a positive image of the District; is willing to listen to input and is a decision maker.
- Inspires trust, has high levels of self-confidence and optimism, and models high standards of integrity and personal performance.
- Has experience recruiting and maintaining exceptional staff for the district and schools.
- Has experience as a classroom teacher or student support position in a school.
- Is a strong communicator: speaking, listening and writing.
- Previous experience that will benefit the long-term financial health of the district, including successful experience in passing bond or mill levy increases.
- Can develop and communicate a vision of quality education for the future of the Board, staff, and community.
- Has knowledge of emerging research and best practice in the areas of curriculum/instructional design and practice.
The application will close on Monday, March 12. We are planning on identifying finalists in early April.
The permanent superintendent search process is being led by Ray and Associates of Cedar Rapids, Iowa - a firm specializing in searches for educational executive leadership services.