Northridge Elementary will be hosting Camp Invention this summer 2018. Here is a sneak peak of the STEM modules that will be covered in the Fast Forward summer program:
Mod My Mini Mansion™
Campers will dream up and design their very own futuristic smart home filled with gadgets, LED’s, technology and innovation! Campers will:
- Make their own take-home mini-mansions and explore renewable sources to power up their eco-smart homes.
- Discover the Internet of Things and how smart devices are connected and controlled.
- Change letters into numbers using binary code to create a message.
Robotic Pet Vet™
Animal shelters are reporting that malfunctioning robotic dogs have been popping up all over town! Throughout this module, campers diagnose puppy problems and design and build dog parks as they hammer out ideas for the best dog park attraction. Campers will:
- Use tools to take apart robotic dogs and compare their inner mechanics to the anatomy and physiology of a real dog.
- Analyze simple machines and circuits used to make the dog move, bark and light up.
- Customize their own robotic dog to take home!
Campers will launch into the future with their own Optibot – a small self-driving bot that senses changes in light. Exploring the technology behind transportation, children will design the ultimate futuristic vehicle that might one day be a reality! Campers will:
- Design tracks for their bots to follow while exploring different modes of transportation.
- Explore impact sensors using a small-scale crash test dummy and discover how sensors are used in vehicles.
- Personalize their own line tracing robot to take home!
Stick To It™
Campers will invent something new every day as they explore what it is like to be a physicist, engineer, and entrepreneur. Your young innovator will invent, make and craft solutions to real-world challenges by building their own prototypes and discovering that anything is possible. Campers will:
- Make their own dancing dinosaur using a mechanical gearbox in the “Dance to Your Own Beat” challenge.
- Build a plush cupcake catapult in the “It Will Be a Piece of Cake” challenge.
- Explore chemistry, non-Newtonian fluids and magnetism as they investigate magnetic slime.
Mark your calendars for June 18-22. Please see the link to take advantage of early registration.