Eagle Academy Academic Leave Expectations
All students enrolled at Eagle Academy agreed to pass their Student Success Score (SSS) in each academic class, each quarter to remain a full time student. Students that do not pass their SSS in one or more classes in a quarter are placed on Academic Leave for one quarter. A student can only be placed on Academic Leave TWICE. While on Academic Leave a student can earn the right to return to Eagle Academy as full time the next quarter if he or she meets the following requirements.
- Complete .5 credits or more in an assigned course with a passing grade of at least 70%.
- At least 25% of required coursework by Week 3.
- At least 50% of required coursework by Week 6.
- If this is your 2nd time on Academic Leave you must complete at least 1.0 credit in online courses.
- Each student will be assigned a class by the Starlab Teacher and Eagle Counselor.
- Once required coursework is completed, students are required to participate in either counseling or community service activities in the school environment.
- Coursework must be completed by 6:30 PM on the last Academic Leave session of the quarter, except for students graduating at the end of the quarter whose work is due Week 8.
- Students can complete work at home, however time spent working outside of designated Starlab hours DOES NOT count toward the attendance minimum.
- Attend at least 7 of 9 Starlab sessions for a minimum of 2 hours (120 minutes), not counting breaks, for a minimum of 840 minutes. When a student is absent a third Starlab session they will be disenrolled from Eagle.
- If students require a break they must sign out and back in; students may take no more than two breaks per evening. All minutes must be made up at the end of class to complete the total of 120 minutes of work time for the class.
- Students that leave the room for longer than 10 minutes, total, will be sent home and counted absent for the night.
- NO EXITING the building. Once a student enters the building for class they cannot exit. Students that exit the building during Starlab without the explicit permission from the Principal or Starlab teacher will be counted absent for the night and sent home.
- Students are prohibited from attending Eagle on any night except their assigned Starlab night.
- Arrival after 4:30 PM is prohibited.
- Students will be productive outside of the school day and log a minimum of 90 work hours, both online and through hard copies of pay stubs (only official pay stubs with taxes and Social Security deducted are accepted) by working at a job, by being involved in a vocational training program, or a combination of these.
- Submit all paperwork and ongoing documentation to meet this expectation by 6:30 PM on the evening of the 8th Academic Leave session of the quarter.
Dis-Enrollment from Eagle Academy
Any student that does not meet either expectation during their time on Academic Leave will be disenrolled from Eagle Academy.
Communicating Starlab Progress
During the quarter there will be 2 progress reports sent home to allow both parents and students to monitor progress. Each report will indicate how many credits are assigned, what percent has been completed so far, and what grade the student is currently earning.
All Work Study hours, online and hard copies of pay stubs, are due by 6:30 PM on the 8th Academic Leave session of the quarter, and all online submissions must be completed by 6:30 PM on the ninth Academic Leave session of the quarter, with the exception of students graduating at the end of that quarter, whose online work is due Week 8.
The final grade and number of credits earned will be calculated by 7:30 pm on the last night of the quarter.
We realize that there are often multiple issues underlying the problems that led to a student being placed on academic leave. Students are encouraged, but not required, to seek support from a member of our mental health team at any time during the quarter.
Ms. Lauren Dornisch ledornisch[at]dcsdk12[dot]org 720-387-8274
Ms. Diane Fern dmfern[at]dcsdk12[dot]org 720-387-8813
Ms. Lisa Jensen aljensen[at]dcsdk12[dot]org 720-387-8870
Starlab Dates and Times for 2018-2019 school year
Starlab occurs on Wednesday evenings from 4:30 - 6:30 pm in room 223.