High School Leaders needed for Spring outdoor education program
Stone Canyon Outdoor EdVentures is now accepting applications for its spring Outdoor Ed High School Leader Program.
High School Leaders (HSL) are camp counselors for Douglas County School District's outdoor education program. HSLs supervise campers in the bunks, sit with students during meals, and support staff in activities and lessons.
The overall goals of a High School Lead is to:
- Help maintain the physical and emotional safety of ALL campers
- Create authentic connections with campers over the course of the trip
- Support the program staff in all lessons/activities.
This experience provides High School Leaders with 43 hours of community service for a three-day and two-night program. There is no cost to participate in this program.
Stone Canyon often receives more applications than positions available. 140 new High School Leaders are needed for this Spring.
If you are interested in volunteering please complete the application by the deadline, January 31. Applicants will receive a response by Feb 20 at noon.
Selected leaders will need to attend one of the trainings that correspond with their trip. Training dates are March 18 and April 29. Transportation will be provided from Douglas County High School and lunch will be provided, as well. Training will run from 8 a.m. until 4 p.m.
- There is no cost for this volunteer opportunity.
- High school volunteers do miss some time in school; their teachers need to sign an approval form acknowledging they are aware and OK with the student missing the time in class.
- We will pick up the high school students at the elementary school that is attending outdoor ed; the high school leaders will travel back with the school on the last day of the program.
Spring Season Schedule:
Dawson School –March 20-14th (4 day)
Cherry Valley ES: April 12-14 (3 day)
Clear Sky ES – 6th: April 17-19 (3 day)
American Academy Castle Pines – 4th: April 19-21 (3 day)
Redstone ES-5th: April 26-28 (3 day)
Iron Horse ES-5th: May 3-5 (3 day)
Buffalo Ridge ES – 5th: May 8-10 (3 day)
Timber Trail ES-5th: May 10-12 (3 day)
Frontier Valley ES – 5th: May 15-17 (3 day)
Fox Creek ES – 6th: May 17-19 (3 day)