On Tuesday June 17, the Douglas County Board of Education approved the FY 2014-2015 Budget, sending more money to DCSD schools for the upcoming school year.
Increases in Revenue
Improving state revenue allowed the state legislature to approve more K-12 funding. As a result, the Per Pupil Revenue (PPR) for DCSD increased $356/Funded Pupil Count (FPC) to $6,752/FPC.
FY 2014-2015 Planned Expenditures
In the FY 2014-2015 Budget, DCSD leaders plan to send the increases in revenue back to the classroom in the following two ways: additional funding for Student Based Budgets (SBB) and increasing compensation for our employees. Additionally, the District is committing to absorbing benefit cost increases on behalf of employees.
The following is a breakdown of DCSD’s planned increases for its FY2014-2015 budget:
- Additional SBB dollars
- $105 one-time allocation from FY 2013-2014 becomes ongoing in the FY 2014-2015 Student Based Budgets
- $50 on-going discretionary allocation (provided in February at the beginning of the budget process)
- $50 on-going discretionary allocation (provided in May following the successful passage of School Finance legislation, which provided increased funding for school districts)
- $10 Million in compensation increases
- 3% average ongoing pay increase based on evaluation (Highly effective teachers receive 4-6 percent increase)
- Absorb benefit cost increases
- PERA increase (0.9% of salaries = $2.4 Million)
- Medical increase (8.4% = $1.3 Million)