Risk Management FAQ's

The District is committed to providing a safe work environment for all employees.  Employees who are injured on the job should complete and submit a Workers’ Compensation Claim form and submit it to Katie Van Horn at [email protected]  You can also reach Katie at 303-387-0030.  


Workers’ compensation insurance provides medical and lost wage benefits to workers who are injured on the job. All businesses with employees operating in Colorado are required to have workers’ compensation insurance.


You must complete the Workers’ Compensation Claim form and submit it to the Workers’ Compensation Manager within 10 days of the date of the injury to avoid denial of the claim.  Please notify your supervisor of the injury.  You can find the W.C. Injury Report on the District’s website.


If the injury or illness is critical, the employee should immediately seek mediacal treatment from the nearest health facility.  If NOT critical and  you need medical attention, you must seek treatment with one of the authorized W.C. Physicians.  After you submit your W.C. Claim a list of authorized medical providers will be sent to you, but there is a list of these authorized providers (Rule 8) on risk website.

Please try to schedule your appointments outside of work hours.  If your appointments are during the work day, you need to clock in and out.  Work with your supervisor when scheduling workers’ compensation appointments. 


If an injured employee is having difficulty working, completing a job task or wants to leave work due to their pain, please direct them back to the Authorized Treating Physician (ATP) do not send them home.


Workers’ compensation benefits are based on your average weekly wage. It is calculated from all of your wages, including overtime, vacation, sick pay, and earnings from the job where you were injured and earnings from any additional jobs you had at the time of your injury. 


If your claim has been approved, and you are losing time from work because of your injury, you may be entitled to either Temporary Total or Temporary Partial Disability benefits. Lost wage benefits will not be paid until you have missed three shifts from work. This “waiting period” will be reimbursed if you miss more than two weeks as a result of your injury. 


Temporary Total Disability (TTD) occurs when the injured worker cannot work during the recovery period.  TTD is paid at two-thirds of your average weekly wage every two weeks. TTD is due if the doctor takes you completely off of work or if the doctor gives you restrictions that your employer cannot accommodate.  Temporary Partial Disability (TPD) is paid when you return to work but you are not earning your normal pay or working your regular hours due to your injury (including missed work for medical appointments).

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2024 SchoolMessenger Corporation. All rights reserved.

In compliance with Titles VI & VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act of 2008, and Colorado law, the Douglas County School District RE-1 does not unlawfully discriminate against otherwise qualified students, employees, applicants for employment, or members of the public on the basis of disability, race, creed, color, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, religion, ancestry, or need for special education services. Discrimination against employees and applicants for employment based on age, genetic information, and conditions related to pregnancy or childbirth is also prohibited in accordance with state and/or federal law. Complaint procedures have been established for students, parents, employees, and members of the public. The School District's Compliance Officer and Title IX Coordinator to address complaints alleging sexual harassment under Title IX is Aaron Henderson, 620 Wilcox Street, Castle Rock, Colorado, [email protected], 303-387-0127.

Outside Agencies

Complaints regarding violations of Title VI, (race, national origin), Title IX (sex, gender), Section 504/ADA (handicap or disability), may be filed directly with the Office for Civil Rights, U.S. Department of Education, 1244 North Speer Blvd., Suite 310, Denver, CO 80204. Complaints regarding violations of Title VII (employment) and the ADEA (prohibiting age discrimination in employment) may be filed directly with the Federal Office of Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, 303 E. 17th Ave., Suite 510, Denver, CO 80202, or the Colorado Civil Rights Commission, 1560 Broadway, Suite 1050, Denver, CO 80202.


Special Education records which have been collected by Douglas County School District related to the identification, evaluation, educational placement, or the provision of special education in the district, must be maintained under state and federal laws for the period of five (5) years after special education services have ended for the student. Special education services end when the student is no longer eligible for services, graduates, or completes his/her educational program at age 21, or moves from the district. This notification is to inform parents/guardians and former students of Douglas County School District's intent to destroy the special education records of students who exited special education services as of June 30, 2016. These records will be destroyed in accordance with state law unless the parent/guardian or eligible (adult) student notifies the school district otherwise. After five years, the records are no longer useful to the district, but may be useful to the parent/guardian or former student in applying for social security benefits, rehabilitation services, college entrance, etc. The parent/guardian or eligible (adult) student may request a copy of the records by requesting the records at this link ( Douglas County School District Transcripts and Records Requests ).