June 2 Board Briefing
The Douglas County Board of Education convened for business at 5 p.m. on June 2, 2015. The Board conducted business items and engaged public comment from a crowd of students, parents, teachers, and community members. The live stream of board meetings can be found on the official DCSD Livestream channel.
Call to Order and Roll Call
Pledge of Allegiance
For Your Information Only
- Unofficial Board of Education Minutes
- Proposed 2015-2016 Agreement - Local 1737 Amalgamated Transit Union
Convene in Executive Session I
Re-Convene Regular Session
Adoption of Consent Agenda
- Staff recommendations, detailed in Agenda Item #13 (Personnel Changes), organized for Board of Education block approval.
The Board of Education approved the adoption of the consent agenda by a vote of 6-0.
View Personnel Changes
Charter School Application Consideration
- Parent and Student Choice Director Tom McMillen provided an overview of new charter school applications. In the 2015 spring charter application cycle, DCSD received three new applications from John Adams High School, Parker Performing Arts School and Milestone Academy. John Adams is a proposed college prep 9-12 high school; Parker Performing Arts is a proposed K-8 school emphasizing the arts; and Milestone Academy is a proposed K-12 school emphasizing Core Knowledge, Classical Education and character development.
DCSD staff has completed a review of the applications and provided recommendations for each of the applicants to the DCSD Board. View the charter school application discussion
The Board of Education voted 6-0 to approve John Adams High School and Parker Performing Arts School.
Student Fees for FY 2015-2016, Amended
- The Board voted 5-0 to approve the amended student fees for 2015-2016. View the student fees
Second Reading of Policy Regarding Parent and Student Rights with Respect to State-Mandated Assessments
The Board voted 5-0 to approve the policy. View the assessment policy
First Reading of Revision to Policy GCEA-GCFA Professional Staff Background Checks
A second reading regarding the policy revision will be heard at the next Board of Education meeting on June 16, 2015.
The Board of Education adjourned at 8:02 p.m.