Aug. 6 Board Briefing
The Douglas County Board of Education convened for business at 5:30 p.m. on August 6, 2013. The Board conducted a list of business items and engaged public comment from a crowd of students, parents, teachers, and community members.
The Board of Education was proud to recognize the achievement of two fantastic students, one amazing team and one great athletic director.
Amy Yoelin of Highlands Ranch High School and Kristin Autret from Legend High School, were both selected as Youth Ambassadors for the “Making Colorado” Summer Internship Program.
Making Colorado is the most collaborative branding initiative ever undertaken by a state. The Governor’s office selected 64 Colorado teenagers from across the state—including Amy and Kristin—to be “Youth Ambassadors.” They were charged with creating visual and written content to capture the culture, voice and vibe of their local communities. Both students then shared those stories through social media.
We understand that they even celebrated the accomplishments of the District in one of their tweets.; Thank you and congratulations!
Bob Nelson, ThunderRidge High School Athletic Director, was named the 2013 5A Athletics Administrator of the Year. He accepted the award on April 29, during CADA’s annual award banquet at the Omni Interlocken Resort in Broomfield,
Bob never planned to be the athletic director. His passion has always been coaching. He coached wrestling for 27 years, football for 20 years and baseball for 10 years. Twelve years ago, however, the ThunderRidge principal asked him to apply for the job, because the staff thought he was the best person for the position
The ThunderRidge High School Boys Baseball Team and Coach Joe White claimed a second 5A state title, by sweeping the championship series. The team clinched the state championship on Saturday May 25, with a 2-1 come-from-behind victory against Rocky Mountain at All-City Field in Denver.
Assistant Superintendent Dan McMinimee and Dr. Marc Schaffer presented information on new clubs and activities available to DCSD students.
Tiffany Vaughn, a middle school teacher at Ranch View Middle School, introduced members of the Code Club. Code Club members engaged in an extraordinary computer science learning opportunity and developed an RVMS App.
Rocky Heights Middle School Science Teacher Cameron Randolph introduced the Robotics Clubs around DCSD.
Chief Operations Officer Bill Moffit introduced the Operations & Maintenance Apprenticeship Program. The program was initiated by Castle View High School Students.
Chief Academic Officers Dr. Dana Johnson-Strother and Ted Knight presented the Guaranteed and Viable Curriculum (GVC). Strother and Knight were joined by teacher leaders.
Chief Human Resources Officer Brian Cesare presented an update on hiring and teacher retention. According to Cesare, the DCSD turnover rate is 12.4%, well within the historic average.
The Board of Education engaged in public comment with members of the community.
Adoption of Consent Agenda
Board members voted by a margin of 6-0 to adopt items on the Consent Agenda.
Approved items on the consent agenda included:
- Adoption of Consent Agenda: Staff recommendations, detailed in Agenda Items 20 -33, organized for Board of Education block approval
- 4 Novels to be approved by the Board of Education. Submitted by the District Library Media Program
- Guaranteed and Viable Curriculum
- Custodial Services Contracts
- Gov Connection Contract
- Approval of Prime Vendor, Nutrition Services
- Waiver of Conflict of Interest Policy for Fee Based Elementary Instrumental Music Programs
- Approve Revised FY 2012-2013 Budget Resolution
- Second Reading of the Revision of BOE Policy DFA
- Cash Management and Investment Policy, (formerly DFA/DFAA Revenues from Investments/Use of Surplus Funds)
- Continuous Improvement of Teacher Effectiveness (CITE) and Leadership Effectiveness through Analysis and Data (LEAD)
- Colorado High School Activities Association (CHSAA) and the scope of employment of Douglas County School District employees who serve on their committee
- Approval of 2013-2014 Compensation and Benefits Program for Certified and Classified Employees
- Intergovernmental Agreement Between Elbert County Clerk and Recorder and Douglas County School District November 5, 2013 Coordinated Election
- Unofficial Board of Education Minutes
- Personnel Changes